On this day in 1810:
- 1st insurance company managed by blacks (American Insurance Company of Philadelphia)
- John Rock is the first black attorney to practice before the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Congress adopts the 13th amendment to the U.S. Constitution, abolishing slavery.
- Jefferson Long of Georgia is 1st black to make an official speech in House of Representatives (opposing leniency to former Confederates)
- Langston Hughes was born
- Carter G. Woodson establishes Negro History Week. In 1976 it will be expanded to a month.