Are you a pants folder or a pants hanger?

This is an oddball observation.

For the past 4 years I have worked hard to get Tara to fold my pants the way I have folded pants my entire life (Tara does most laundry in the house). I learned to fold pants in what I believed was the only (and proper) way, as a prep for hanging. You fold them front to back so that a crease is kept in the front and back center, perpendicular to the side seams. Tara folded my pants like she folded her own pants, the opposite way. She folds along the side seam. I was under the impression that this was a female thing b/c every man I knew well enough to see them fold their pants folded them the way I do.

A few weeks ago my brother-in-law moved in with us and he wears - almost exclusively - urbanwear jeans. You know, the jeans that are pressed board stiff and have the fancy embroidery on the back pockets. Well, he folded some of my pants the other day and, to my surprise, they were folded like Tara does it. Now, as I started writing this post I thought it was b/c Joel folds his jeans but as I write I realize that he hangs his pants and he folds them. My whole premise was blown out of the water.

Where do we learn stuff like this? I realize that I probably learned from my Dad, a career military man whose pants were meticulously folded and hung. This method is the seen in men's stores and other places you buy men's "trousers". I don't know where Tara and Joel learned and now this seems only slightly interesting.

Comments

I fold David's pants along the crease and his jeans along the seam. With my pants and jeans, some seem to lean toward crease folding and others toward seam folding. If I see a crease, I fold along it, but I don't try to create one. Yes, it's all very complicated. :)
bmitd67 said…
That makes sense. If there is a crease, follow it.