Blerds* to the Rescue

Can I just say that I am so excited to be alive? I can say it. I am fucking happy to be alive and proud to be black. Damn! It is a great day.

I'm not a space geek. I mean, I do love Star Trek and Star Wars and BSG but I never did the whole astrophysics nor astronomy. As an adult I have come to embrace the general ideas there but I really don't know anything about those fields of study. Over the last few months, maybe even year, I have heard - thanks to various NPR/PRI podcasts (and the Daily Show) - physicists and other scientists discuss String Theory and Multiverses and space travel. Much of it has been inspiring but what really made my day was hearing Dr. Mae Jemison dovetailing into a couple of recent interviews I've heard of Neil Degrasse Tyson. Its amazing to hear scientists think this way but what really got me is that I was listening to two black scientists talking about space travel, a topic that doesn't come up too often in most black barbershops, if you know what I mean.

On one level I know black people can do anything I am always happy to hear us breaking molds. They are talking Star Trek kind of shit and that just makes me wanna strut around challenging the naysayers.
You think black folk can only listen to rap, belong to get-up-out-of-your-seat churches and yell at their kids? Well fuck you, we are scientists, no, we are uber-scientists. Take that! Asshole!
I know this is a bit aggressive but this is the kinda thing that makes me wanna get in your face about.

*Blerd - Black Nerd

Comments

chez bez said…
To paraphrase James Brown: "Say It Loud (I'm A Black Space Nerd And I'm Proud)."