Who Do You Love?!

Bo Diddley was one of the first blues guys I connected with. I can't tell you what it is about his music that always got to me. It always brings a smile to my face. I saw him live a couple of times and loved him. The last time he was a cantankerous old man but he was still Bo Diddley, Elias McDaniel from McComb, Mississippi.

When I moved to Baton Rouge back in 91 I got sooo excited when driving down I55, tired after a long day of driving I saw the highway sign for McComb. I felt like I had reached something. I never did stop in McComb but I always felt a connection, a jolt of something when I drove past.

Going back even further, I had a dorm mate who used to make me play "Roadrunner" at obscene volumes at obscene hours. It didn't matter whether we were studtying at 3am or coming in drunk Roadrunner would be blaring down the hall of Lower Gailor. Another college memory of mine was my one and only radio alter-ego was Diddley Bo. He showed up, played two or three songs on my radio show, "Blues Explosion" and was gone.

I haven't listen to Bo in awhile but I think I know what's about to go on my iPod. Elias McDaniel thank you for what you gave to the world.

Comments