A New Segment...

Today begins the first of my new series...

What's in my CD or DVD player?

Right now I'm at work and have decided to listen to a little Cassandra Wilson. Cassandra is one of my favorite artists. She's roots, she's experimental and she's expressive. She's also very sexy, just a beautiful woman with a beautiful voice and beau coup style.

I've bought every record she's released since New Moon Daughter but I just bought her first Blue Note record Blue Light Till Dawn and that's what I'm listening to now.

What I like about Cassandra's style is that she takes her time in the songs. She lets the words, phrases and motifs form around her and through her. Another thing is she's not scared to do it her way, a different way, like "Children of the Night" with its experimental rootsiness or the lazy vocals of "Redbone" blending with the single-minded, multi-ethnic perc and out-of-pocket gospel lap-steel.

She is mesmerizing in so many ways.