Oscar Response

This is actually more a response - a dissent, if you will - to the extraordinarily smart and beautiful, poetically inclined maven of Brown Rabbit Tanning, Marjorie. Marjorie and I worked at Davis-Kidd together, we started on the same day (to walk into the breakroom and see her certainly made me feel better about working for $8/hr), and I typically agree with her on things film and political, although she once steered me to an insane Turkish movie, which I have fortunately forgotten the name of, although I did like the music.

I will have to say that her disinterest in The Queen disappoints me greatly. I, not being an Anglophile wasn't interested in The Queen but when the lights went down I became enthralled and entranced by Dame Helen Mirren (who joins other silver-haired beauties, Raquel Welch - I know she's not silver haired but you know what I mean - and Emmylou Harris, on my hottie list). Here performance was all encompassing, she is one of the few who truly and absolutely deserved her Oscar. The Departed, ok I can see not wanting to see it but it was an intense recreation of the Japanese cinema and how can you not love Jack. Babel, I hear you Marjorie but I think all of those issues are entwined and appropriate - although, I don't know about that racist thing, I didn't really see so much of that in Babel.

Volver, Letters from Iwo Jima & Happy Feet were the 3 best I saw this last year

As far as costumes Marjorie says Marie Antoinette, which I will see tonight, but I must say that Curse of the Golden Flower was stunning...the movie sucked but I couldn't get enough of the sets and costumes. Zhang Yimou's understanding of colors and textures is unparalleled.

Marjorie we will have to hook up for some filmfest stuff, hopefully I can afford a few. When is someone gonna drop a gold brick on my doorstep? Sheesh!


Technorati Tags: , , , ,

powered by performancing firefox

Comments

M said…
Jai-- I'm sorry that I can't make myself care about The Queen.. I just can't get excited about her life as subject matter, though I do not doubt that the acting is perfectly acceptable. But as far as Jack Nicholson goes... I friggin' hate him. I always have. I think he overplays everything and is smug and grating. And he just gives me the willies. In general, people stand aghast when I say such things... but I can honestly hardly bear to look at a screen on which his smarmy countenance is hamming it up. there have been movies he's been in which I've liked in spite of him-- but I still pretty much wanted to retch every time he came on the screen. I'll admit, this very likely a deeply irrational and deeply personal predilection, but there you have it. It's a very physical reaction, as well, I might add... I visibly shuddered every time they cut to him in the audience on Oscar night. He's jsut so darn creepy. Why does no one else see this? It's like there's slime in his soul.

Anyway-- I doubt you'll like Marie Antoinette all that much... the whole movie is like eating cake. But it's sure pretty. The lives of royalty just do not manage to capture my imagination.

Regarding the insane Turkish movie, yeah, the music is fucking awesome... but that whole movie is reckless and vibrant and taut in a way I don't see too often. And that chick is just HOT!!!! The guy's a little schleppy but he's soulful, so that's ok. It's definitely in my top 5 favorites. I'm sorry you thought it was insane... insane's not all bad, though, is it?

And very excited for Volver to come out on video-- I wish I'd had a chance to see it when it was out.. I do love me some Almodovar! I'll et you know when I see it on video.

And yes, I'll most certainly see what you're up to around filmfest time-- it was uber-cool running into you and your adorable wifeypoo last year. and my usual movie date and I are not currently on speaking terms (I do not see this changing anytime soon) so I'll need company!