Oteil Burbridge

So, I'm watching the best show BET has ever aired "Studio Jams".

Tonight we have Oteil Burbridge (Allman Brothers Band & The Peacemakers), Vernon Reid (Living Colour), Jeff Coffin (Bela Fleck & The Flecktones) as well as Derek Trucks, Kofi Burbridge & YonRico Scott (all from the Derek Trucks Band).

Vernon, who has been a favorite of mine since the first Living Colour album on 85 or so but through the years my style changed, as did my ears, and what Vernon does gets a little nutty for me sometimes. Anyway, Vernon says you meet all sorts of musicians: talented, driven, gifted and magical, Oteil is magical. I couldn't agree more.

There has always been something special about him. It's not until I started seeming him do his own shows that I truly realized that he is one of a very special types. What was most amazing about this show tonight was that the room what filled with those magical types. Derek, Jeff, Rico, Kofi, Oteil & Vernon.  Even more amazing is that I have had extended personal encounters with all of these musicians other than Vernon. True, honest, talented, kind people and it shows in every note they play.

Comments