How many other pro sports would address the fans like this...

This was in my email box last Friday.

November 5, 2004

D.C. United supporters:

I am writing to each of you today for two very important reasons. First, on behalf of the entire United organization, I would like to thank you for your support of the team at RFK Stadium this season. Secondly, speaking for each of the players that will step onto our home field tomorrow night at 7:00 p.m., I am urging all of you to come out and cheer louder than ever as we play for the Eastern Conference Championship.

Already this season, you've earned our respect as the League's best fans, coming out in droves to cheer us on. In fact, our average home attendance ranked second in the League this year. On the field, we, the players, responded to your overwhelming passion for our club, posting a League-best 9-2-4 record.

Now, as we play for the right to go to the MLS Cup final, we need each and every one of you loyal United fans in the stands wearing black and doing your part in turning RFK Stadium into a crucible indicative of our belief that it is the toughest place in MLS for an opponent to play. That home field advantage will no doubt give us the extra energy we need to win the match and move us closer to our ultimate goal.

If you have already purchased your tickets to Saturday's game, we look forward to seeing you. If not, reserving your seats is as easy as clicking here.

Thank you again for all your support. Even though I won't be playing tomorrow night, I still feel that I have a part in the team tomorrow by supporting the club as best possible throughout the match. I hope you'll join me.

Sincerely,

Ryan Nelsen
Captain
D.C. United

Comments