Buddhist Thought of the Day

[The] defilements are like a cat. If you feed it, it will keep coming around. Stop feeding it, and eventually it will not bother to come around anymore.
Ajahn Chah, "Still Forest Pool"

Amen to that but as everything it's easier said than done. One of the reasons I emotionally like Buddhism is that all it asks is that you try. Do the best you can and keep on moving. None of this "all or none" stuff some brands of Christianity push. Maybe I have trouble with this b/c I have trouble with commitment but I think there is more to it than that. I think it has to do being honest with youself. If you make the commitment to do away with the bad habits or "defilements" you will do this. You don't have to worry about following a certain path and this going to heaven or not. As the Army asks, be all that you can be.

Comments