Buddhist Thought of the Day

The last line is crucial, "The pureness of perfectly balanced action based on seeing the way things are...this is freedom." I so strive for that balanced action but I struggle with the seeing this as they are. I take things personally too often and too quickly. Most times I assume too much. None of that is conducive to seeing things as they are. What's worse is that it sometimes bothers me when people do take things as they are. My wife is an example. She rarely assumes, she, more than anyone I know, says exactly what she means when she speaks and she says she doesn't understand when she doesn't understand. I am jealous of people who think this way and sometimes I am too arrogant to let people know that I don't understand. I've done it this way for so long. I hated asking questions in class, I hated making coments in dlass. I didn't want the attention.
When a person has lived properly and acted generously, he grasps the way things are. He is not dependent on attachments; he is free from anger and aversions; what he does becomes perfect action.

The pureness of perfectly balanced action based on seeing the way things are--this is freedom and the ending of ignorance
Sutta Nipata

Comments