More Bobo stuff...

I don't know if George is trying to make me feel bad or what but this is interesting.

allaboutgeorge said...

[...] The new look has acquired a name: Bobo style. "You know, bohemian bourgeois," explained Kathryn Neal, 28, a freelance writer in New York, who is partial to billowing Alexander McQueen pirate shirts worn with beat-up jeans. "Bobo" is borrowed from the title of a five-year-old work of pop sociology, "Bobos in Paradise" by David Brooks, now an Op-Ed columnist for The New York Times. He used the term to describe a breed of well-heeled consumers who bashed materialism while embracing all manner of luxury. [...]"Mary Kate, Fashion Star"

I had forgotten about the whole Mary-Kate look; that wasn't my first thought when I saw the article.

My first thought was a combination of something a bit more altruistic. I was thinking hippies who'd actually made a living... not that weekend hippie crap but the ones who had dropped into the whole peace & love, earthday thing but now had a few bucks to spend so they shop Organic and Fair Trade. Read and write blogs.

Does everybody try to define themselves? Is this my search for acceptance - to find that group I belong to - or is it my desire to beat others to the punch. Define or be defined, that is the question.

Comments

allaboutgeorge said…
No, Jai, I wasn't trying to make you feel bad. I saw the article, remembered your post and thought to link the two.

Find a group to belong to, or beat others to the punch? Why not do both?
bmitd67 said…
I know, I know. I jsut don't wanna *sniffle* be thought of in the same breath as the Olsen Twins unless we are talking about how much my estate is worth!

Do I really have to be defined or belong to a group? Of course, the anthropologist in me says even when you aren't in a group you are in a group. No man is an island, right?